The Brief Addiction Science Information Source (BASIS) Microlearning Course is a free educational opportunity consisting of 28, 1-hour continuing education (CE) modules that offer allied health professionals the opportunity to learn more about addiction research and its implications for treatment and public health. In each module, learners will read 12 science reviews originally published by The BASIS. Learners can earn 1.0 hour of CE credit per module.
The BASIS is an online resource created by the Division on Addiction that increases awareness of addiction by providing summaries of current, peer-reviewed addiction science articles. Each week, The BASIS publishes one of four online science reviews:
- The WAGER (Worldwide Addiction Gambling Educational Report) reviews gambling-‐related research.
- The DRAM (Drinking Report for Addiction Medicine) reviews research related to alcohol use.
- ASHES (Addiction Smoking Health Education Service) explores issues related to tobacco use and misuse.
- STASH (Science Threads on Addiction, Substance use, and Health) investigates substance use and misuse.
Module 14 covers BASIS publications from Spring 2019.
As a result of completing Module 14, you will be better prepared to:
- Understand at least one new piece of addiction-related evidence reviewed by The BASIS during Spring 2019.
- Identify at least one piece of addiction research reviewed by The BASIS during Spring 2019 that can be applied to your own practice.
Continuing Education (CE) Credits:
- American Psychological Association (APA) – The Division on Addiction is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The Division on Addiction maintains responsibility for this program and its content. This program offers 1.0 continuing education credit.
- National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) – The Division on Addiction has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6121. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. The Division on Addiction is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs. This program offers 1.0 clock hour.
- National Association for Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors (NAADAC) – This course has been approved by the Division on Addiction, as a NAADAC Approved Education Provider, for 1.0 CE. NAADAC Provider #84058, the Division on Addiction is responsible for all aspects of the programing.
- National Association of Social Workers (NASW) – This program has been approved for 1.0 Social Work Continuing Education hour for relicensure, in accordance with 258 CMR. NASW-MA Chapter CE Approving Program, Authorization Number: D 92276.